Saturday, July 12, 2008

The After After Party

When you finish working at 5am (last call's at 4, and then we do our cash outs), you can't go right to bed.  It'd be like going to sleep before dinner time, for the nine to fivers. So, of course, in this great city that doesn't sleep there are a number of options for the service industry folk to wind down.

First stop is always right next door where there's a bar that reopens after they close specifically for my club's staff. There's a doorbell and the manager will come answer each new ring to approve or disapprove the guest. You have to know him or he'll tell you they're closed. It's a dark pub for us to get a quick buzz and talk shop while the sun comes up. From there one can always hit up Korea Town at any hour because these Koreans are the lucky holders of a legal 24 hour liquor license giving them the ability to openly sell sake and beer with the food (the afterthought to the liquor pull). No secret code to get in. There are a number of restaurants on this midtown strip to choose from, and going at dawn always results in a funny story.

On Friday and Saturday there's an after hours party downtown that goes until 8:30 or so. The basement club has a full bar, and plenty of druggies, drug music and drugs. Although liquor is my only vice, I brought some of my coworkers to this spot last night and enjoyed the guido fist pumping and glow stick dancing show. It was pretty intense as always. People there are so high that they have the nerve to strike up conversations with complete strangers, and as the three newbies who seemed to know the important people there (I'm friends with the promoters), me and my two guy friends from work drew a lot of attention. It's also quite the cockfest, so I was being schemed on from every angle by men with sly grins, big pupils and more drugs. And hats- you've never seen so many hats in one place without uniforms involved. It's like a mini hell, but it's so intriguing to me. There was one girl who did a run/dance from wall to wall the entire time I was there. And she was having a blast! Good times.

I can't believe I stayed so late this time that they turned the lights on at the after after party.

No comments: